Saturday, July 16, 2011

Servant Heart


Servant Heart

18" x 24"
Oil on canvas

Unavailable, part of a private collection

Available as prints and note cards.

Boy, did I make a mistake with the description of this one!  This lovely child angel is a baptismal font, however, she is NOT in Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Olde Towne Portsmouth.  Dean Burgess graciously gave me a whole stack of photos of various angel statuary he had kept for years, and I misunderstood him to say that this statue was part of Trinity.  When I took a part time position there, I asked him to remind me where this precious child is.  He showed me that "Elizabeth", a young woman angel, is the baptismal font there, and he has no idea where my precious angel child stands.  Sorry that I misled you!  It was definitely unintentional.

The marble of the shell she holds is almost translucent and the quality of light fascinated me.  So, for the painting, I decided to imbue the implied water with a sacred reflective light of its own.  I hope you find meaning in this image.  She gladdens my heart!

I couldn't choose between so many wonderful scriptures about servants and so I've included quite a few here.  Perhaps one will be especially meaningful to you!


2 Samuel 7:29:  Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, Sovereign LORD, have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever.”

1 Kings 8:23:  and said: “LORD, the God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way.

Deuteronomy 3:24:  “Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?

Joshua 22:5:  But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to keep his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

1 Samuel 3:9:  So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.’”

1 Samuel 25:41:  She bowed down with her face to the ground and said, “I am your servant and am ready to serve you and wash the feet of my lord’s servants.”

Psalm 4:3:  Know that the LORD has set apart his faithful servant for himself; the LORD hears when I call to him.

Psalm 34:22:  The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Psalm 86:4:  Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you.

Psalm 103:21:  Praise the LORD, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will.

Psalm 134:1:  A song of ascents. Praise the LORD, all you servants of the LORD who minister by night in the house of the LORD.



No comments: