Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bronze Angel


Bronze Angel

24" x 30" acrylic on canvas, unframed

$850 plus tax, S&H

Also available as prints and  note cards.

This gorgeous bronze angel monument is from a cemetery in Norfolk, VA.  I must have over 30 photographs of her and will probably do more paintings of her at a later date.  She is seated high up on a pedestal; her long Italian looking feet show beneath the hem of her robe.  In her lap is a scroll which unrolls all the way down to her feet.  

Perhaps you will know what I mean when I say she "has presence".  Everything about her is stately and strong, from her facial expression to her physical form.  I couldn't resist the challenge of bringing her to life in all her glorious color.  She seemed timeless when I was taking pictures of her.  Yet the metal is damaged by hard seasons of weather, pitted and eroded even.  The years have put more than a lovely patina on the surface of this angel.  Still, as a symbol of an eternal, created being, she speaks to me.  What she represents is outside of time, and yet engaged with those of us still held here inside of time.

I'm not posting the angel paintings that I've done in chronological order.  Hey, I'm an artist!  I hope the juxtapostion of sizes, colors and compositions will be more interesting than a simple order of their creation would be.   :-)

Feel free to let me know what you think.  I look forward to hearing from you.


No comments: