Thursday, January 13, 2011

Heavenly Hues (Female and Male)

In October of 2010 we had our first huge event at Olde Towne Art, called 10-10-10.  Ten of the local painters spent ten days in the gallery area at the front windows creating ten brand new paintings... each.  Day or night, there were artists there painting as people walked by on the sidewalk or stood and watched.  It was a monumental task but we all finished!  And along the way we had so many laughs and learned so much about each other; and some of us have admitted it changed our focus on our own gifts, styles, goals, etc. 

We each approached this event differently; some by sketching each proposed painting, others by using photographic references; some even timed themselves on preliminary works.  We were excited and nervous, both.

One of the ways that I prepared was to create the first painting shown on this blog, "All Better Now".  Intending to paint mostly angel pieces, and knowing that the ones I do are highly detailed, I wasn't sure I would have enough time to complete the ones I'd chosen to do and I had been getting really nervous.  Finishing All Better Now successfully and rather quickly, I was calmer facing what could have been a daunting and highly stressful event.   :-)

The other piece I did right before this event (10-10-10) was the first of the two pieces shown here.



Heavenly Hues, Female Angel Statue

24" x 30" acrylic on canvas, unframed
canvas edges painted golden yellow

$500, or $900 for the pair

I had a black and white photograph of this stunning Italian angel face, and I could have made her in shades of gray with some hints of color, as I've done in some of the other angel paintings... but she just cried out to me for color!  It was such a joy to work very vivid colors into the lights, shadows and shapes of this sculpture.  In the photo, the tear stain is actually a watermark from her being exposed to the elements of weather, and the black on the real statue is not very becoming.  But working the effect into the sadness expressed on her face intrigued me.

After the painting was finished, several people thought that "she" was a "he".  I know it's a very strong, classical face, but her jaw line is so soft that I was surprised that her femininity was not more obvious to others who saw her, as it seemed to me!  I decided right then and there to make a companion piece that was so obviously male that in comparison she would be seen for her intended gender.  The piece below came only from my imagination and with God's help, not from any photographic reference, and was one of the ones I did during 10-10-10.  I intentionally used the same components and colors with variations to bring him to life.  His gender markers are a total exaggeration, but that was on purpose....  I hope you enjoy them both, but almost everybody who's seen them has a favorite.  And that's ok, too!



Heavenly Hues, Male Angel Statue

24" x 30" acrylic on canvas, unframed
canvas edges painted golden yellow

$500, or $900 for the pair


No comments: