Monday, June 13, 2011

Awaiting Resurrection


Awaiting Resurrection

18" x 36"

Acrylic on canvas, ornate frame

$900

After I came through a time of exhausting spiritual warfare, I turned to some reference photos taken in a cemetery in Huntington, West Virginia.  Painting this lovely statue brought me such peace.  I've got the feeling she represents Mary, the Mother of Jesus.  I have asked others why she would be holding a wreath on her arm, and their answers seem to match mine.  We're not sure, but it looks as if perhaps this is the crown of the redeemed which this person, over whom she is standing, will receive in heaven...  Why it would be flowers, I don't know.  (Since then, I have found many cemetery statues of angels holding floral wreaths, as well.)  I love her pensive stance, and the sweet patience she exudes.  She helped me to breathe deeply and bring my soul to a more restful place.  I hope she metes out the same kind of peace and well-being to you.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.  And so we will be with the Lord forever.

No comments: