Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Gathering of Angels




Seraphic Convergence
A Gathering of Angels

18" x 24" each
$800/pair

For the past several years, we've worked at Olde Towne Art to have various showings in our front gallery that have expressed themes, intersperced with shows of new works.  The gallery changes out each month on First Friday, so the paintings are displayed for a whole month at a time.  One of the themes we did was based on all black and white pieces.  In 2010 we decided to do a Black and White Plus One show, meaning there could be a small amount of one added color besides the black, white and gray scale.

I decided to do a pair of paintings representing a set of angel wings, and went to work praying and painting with my palette knife, not sure exactly where God would lead me.  As the wings formed, it seemed to me that they also began to look like mountainous terrain with steppes and that there were some beings descending those steppes.  As a matter of fact, they seemed to be all over the place!

When I began to add a wash of transparent yellow to emphasize the robed figures I was seeing, the scenes felt more and more holy to me.  It seemed obvious that they represented angels, even though there was not one wing to be found aside from the background image... and I never heard of angels with hoods! ... but it wasn't at all creepy.  It actually felt sacred.

So, I kept on praying and painting and watching these surreal images form under my knife and brush.  There are many more that could have been 'highlighted' with the yellow, but for the composition of the pieces, the ones that are visible feel like enough.  If you take a close look, I'm sure you'll find more!  I've titled this pair of paintings Seraphic Convergence I and II, A Gathering of Angels.  I hope you enjoy them.

No comments: