Monday, June 27, 2011

Worship


Worship

24" x 20"
Oil and Gold Leaf foil on canvas
SOLD

Available in prints and as note cards

This piece began as an emotive piece for me to stretch a little between other more realistic ones.  It was a "feel good" exercise, and to my surprise it kept right on making me feel good all the way to the finish!  It was really enjoyable to do a more abstracted image for a change.  Last year, 2010, was the first time I ever knew how much abstracted pieces would capture my focus and heart.  I did 14 of them last year!

The angels here, unlike the ones I've been painting recently, have no faces or distinctions between them.  They are worshipping God en masse, in a concert of gently swaying movements, with the hems of their garments seemingly flowing out from one garment of praise.

As I was working on this painting with great joy, I felt that the Lord let me know it was going to sell.  I was slightly frustrated with that news, since I'm still in the wrong-headed process of measuring the worth of abstracted pieces versus more realistic ones....

The woman who bought this (before it had even dried, within hours of my adding my signature!) said to me that these are the exact colors in their master bedroom, even down to the more copper tone I used on the gallery wrap edges!  As she drew close enough to see individual color dots in the wings, she exclaimed that the darker blues are the same shade as her accent pillows!  So, I don't know if you will agree with me, but my sense is that this piece was done FOR her, for her home, for her enjoyment and blessing.  This certainly is not close to any of my frequently chosen palettes.  And it makes me happy to have created something beautiful for someone else, like a commission piece, but without knowing ahead of time that was what I was doing!

Because she is military, I've chosen the following song of worship for this painting:

Revelation 15:4  "Great and wonderful are the things You have done,
                                      Adonai, God of heaven's armies!
                                        Just and true are Your ways,
                                             King of the nations!
                             Adonai, Who will not fear and glorify Your Name?
                                        Because You alone are holy,
                              All nations will come and worhsip before You,
                               For Your righteous deeds have been revealed.



No comments: